If you are thinking about getting started as a social media marketing consultant or an internet marketing consultant, it helps to know what exactly businesses are looking for in these service providers.
Fortunately, a new study from BrightLocal answers the question.
- Low cost is #1, but only 18% think that cost is the most important factor. You don’t have to be the cheapest to win.
- Performance or guarantees make a big difference. Businesses want to know that you guarantee your work. There are so many people out there pitching low-quality services that business owners are looking for guarantees when making choices.
- Your reputation matters. How do you build a good one? Speak at events (this has a HUGE impact on credibility, and some consultants use it as their ONLY WAY to generate leads), attain credentials, collect testimonials, get references….
What don’t they care about?
- How your website ranks isn’t important. You need to have one (just like you need business cards and a phone number) but clients aren’t too caught up with how it ranks.
- If you were recommended by a contact apparently isn’t a big factor. To be honest, this surprised me since most of my business is word of mouth.
- Your personality isn’t the most important, but being responsive and easy to work with probably is.
- Your location isn’t too important – businesses want to work with the right partner – regardless of where they are located.
Leave a Reply