If you are ready to go from good to great, here are 10 tips to help you become a FABULOUS social media manager.
- Keep Your Skills Up To Date and Always Be Learning. If you want to become a great social media managers you’ll need to stay on the cutting edge of social media. I’ve been doing this for 7 years, and every time I go to a social media conference I learn tons of new things (I even learn from my own training workshops). You can’t be complacent.
- Bring New Ideas to Your Clients. Don’t just keep implementing the same thing, but bring innovation to your clients. It may be experimenting with a new tool, trying a new approach or enhancing your strategy. Bringing new ideas shows that you are thinking vs. just doing.
- Measure Everything. The best social media managers are always analyzing, measuring and adapting. If you don’t like numbers or analytics, you’ll be in trouble. Analytics need to become your friend.
- Admit Your Mistakes (and learn from them). Social media is still new, and trial and error is the only way to truly know what is or isn’t working. If you can’t acknowledge the things that didn’t work (and explain WHY and how you WON’T DO IT AGAIN) you aren’t demonstrating an ability to make smart choices.
- Link Back to Strategy and Broader Business Goals. Social media doesn’t exist in a bubble – it is connected to the rest of the business and social media strategy. Linking what you do back to the business shows that you are committed to business success and that you are strategic.
- Share Relevant Articles and Examples. Sharing SELECT articles with your clients or boss shows that you are staying up-to-date and always thinking and looking for new ideas. Don’t be annoying about this by doing it too often.
- Understand the Entire Digital Strategy. Again, show that you are committed to success by connecting social media back to bigger strategies. Social media should like to email marketing, SEO and the website.
- Respond Quickly to Everything. This is a general business tip, but being quick to respond to everything makes you look on-the-ball and organized. Most complaints that businesses have about many of their agencies and partners is about not getting responses quickly.